Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's already Saturday?

Wow.

Week 1 went by fast. (I'm counting it as a week. So what).

I have a few observations from this week. About Korea. About Koreans. About me.

-They (Koreans-yes I'm generalizing) love donuts. I swear there is a donut shop on every block. I'm not complaining. Just stating a fact.

-While walking around downtown today, I heard Natasha Bedingfield and Rascal Flatts being played on different stores loudspeakers. Where do they pick this music? And why?

-Eavesdropping is one of my favorite activities. Unfortunately, I am unable to do it here. And while I am a little sad about this, it's kind of awesome. I live in my own little world.

-There is a love of fashion here (even in my city-not just Seoul) that I wasn't expecting. One of the four channels on TV in English is Fashion Network (I think I'll be obsessed). Also, I have seen Versace, Burberry, Dior, and tons of other designer stores just thrown around town. Awesome. I'm going to be a snob by the end of this run.

-I don't know if I'll ever get used to their shoe removal obsession. For work I had to buy a pair of 'inside shoes' (really they're gel sandals and really classy-oh look a picture!). I have big feet and there weren't a lot of options where I went. So they'll have to work. Oh and socks with sandals is pretty much mandatory. Yuck.
-But really. You take off your shoes when you go into certain restaurants. It's weird.


-Koreans also have strange table manners (to me). They slurp. They talk with their mouth full of food. They sip soup out of bowls. All these things I've grown up not doing, they do. And its acceptable.

-Their beds are not very soft. Well, at least mine isn't. I'll let you know about all the other beds I come in contact with.

-I love their noodles. A lot.

-Everyone seems to grow peppers.



-If you look like you don't know what you're doing when buying a ticket for the subway, they will come to your aid. And they will work together to get you to the right place. (thanks korean boys!)

-They giggle every time they say something in English

-Awkward teenage Korean girls are just as easy to spot as awkward teenage American girls. And just as hard to avoid.

-Dragonflies are EVERYWHERE!


I'd say Week 1 was a success.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Eavesdropping is my favorite too. I would die not being able to understand.

San Ba Po said...

Loved your gel shoes. Have you done any wash yet? are your cloths drying all funny now?

love your blog!!! YAY for week 1~! oh, yeah... asians are obcessed with designer stuff... things we can get at TJMAXX and ross... they LOVE! maybe if you are coming back for Christmas,,, go shop at TJMAX and take some little stuff back with you.

I am a little giggly that you are loving the noodles!! cuz i love them too.

Are the donuts different? better/worse?

Any subways in your area?