Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure I just ate a whole small chicken

Good morning my friends in the USA! Weird how my Monday is ending and yours is just beginning.

I love and miss all of you.

And I'm pretty sure I really did just eat an entire small chicken.

You see, here in Korea I don't have the luxury to really know what I'm eating. But its been a rule of mine that if it tastes good, I'll eat it.

Last week we had some fried chicken as one of our 'side dishes' for school lunch. I was glad to recognize this food. But that was before I realized all our utensils included was a pair of chopsticks and a spoon. I froze. I tried to nonchalantly glance around the room to see what everyone else was doing. I was shocked.

They were eating fried chicken with chopsticks.

How this is done, better yet, how I figured out how to do this, is still a mystery. But I do know I ate that chicken and I ate it proudly.

(also today I'm pretty sure we had some kind of heart. i took a bite-nothing special-and then i took a closer look at this meat creation. there were definite arteries. that ended my consumption of that dish)

I have had my eye on this one particular restaurant for awhile now. It has big colorful photos of food when you walk past it so I knew I'd be able to point proudly. And maybe the chicken in the pictures look strangely familiar to Americanized seasame chicken from the local buck-a-scoop (I miss the buck-a-scoop. And you, Jordan). So secretly I was hoping it would taste the same, too.

I worked late (boo) so I decided just to head over there on my way home. The restaurant was empty and the couple who owned it jumped to my request. I pointed to the one I wanted. I waited with eager hunger for my meal.

The best part of getting my food to-go is that I spend the whole walk home wondering what exactly I will be eating. I usually have an idea, but things never turn out the way you think. I questioned my decision.

That all stopped when I took my first bite. It was delish.

I continued to eat my way through the box. I felt like Darren at Applebees half price appetizers (he is really the only person I know who prefers eating chicken wings with the bones...crazy. Also, click on his name and go read his blog. Sometimes he's funny. And I want him to stop complaining about how no one reads it). I brutally destroyed this chicken.

(how much do we LOVE pictures of me eating?!)

In the end, I regret my decision. Too much too soon.

And that, my friends, is my story.

7 comments:

Justin and Coralie said...

You're so brave.... I would be worried about even trying foods that I couldn't identify! Haha :)

Jill said...

that sounds so delicious right now. i saw someone wearing an orange knit hat today and it made me miss you. not because you have an orange knit hat. but you have a white one i think, and i wouldn't put it past you to sport something construction orange one day. just for fun.

San Ba Po said...

can i send you some forks? what's your address?

Erin said...

Fried chicken with chopsticks is incredible.

D said...

Aww. Loved the shoutout. Even if it came with a diss. Our relationship in a nutshell.

Ben said...

Mmm. So delicious. Just add root beer.

Jordan said...

ditto to D. now I feel special, a kind of special that only cindy can make me feel. thanks, dear.