Friday, November 27, 2009

Shopping



Hankook Mart:
This is where I usually do my grocery shopping. The first time I went there I wasn't so sure about it. It's smaller (and therefore not really stocked full of American food) but now I go there probably at least twice a week. There is this random man whose job is to talk constantly into a microphone over the loudspeaker. I have no idea what he's saying, but he sounds like a game show host. Someone said he's just saying the big sales or discounts. But sometimes when I walk in and he starts talking and I see people laughing I have this fear he's warning the store that a white girl has entered.

Anyways.

This week, however, heaven came to me in the form of an even greater shopping experience: Costco

Did you know there are six (I think) Costco's in Korea?! I love it. I went with some friends and we walked in with wide eyes and happy hearts. Like kids in a candy store. I'm not even joking. And its not like it's super close to us. It took an hour bus ride and a 15 minute cab ride to get there. But every moment spent getting there and back was worth it. Because I got to partake of the goodness of a Costco hot dog and chicken bake. Oh soooo good.


We also had the luxury of hauling all our goods back down to our city. Buying in bulk is much harder when there is no SVU or mini-van to pile in all your boxes.

I love Costco. So much.

3 comments:

Viva la Varner said...

AWESOME!!!! I'm so glad that they still have the hot dog and chicken bakes in Korea. I hope you think of me everytime you go there. I love Costco!! And that guy over the loud speaker...that would creep me out.

Jihyei said...

I love the Costco hotdog and chicken bake! I'm kind of surprised they actually have those instead of something more Korean like kimbap or ddukbokki. (If you haven't had those, you should.)

San Ba Po said...

Nothing beats the greatness of Costco and it's fast food. I hope the hotdog was as delicious as you made it look like on your photo~!!