Sunday, November 8, 2009

Unexpected Awesomeness

Today I got to school and was excited for my day. Mondays are my 3rd grade (or 9th grade in American terms) only day, so the kids are older and speak English better and aren't afraid to laugh at me as much.

I had my lesson plan all ready and the song of the week pulled up on my computer and was stoked.

Then: BOOM.

Another Korean English teacher comes in and tells me that COT is sick and so I'd be taking over her class schedule until she returns. And my normal classes would go to the assigned regular coteacher.

(So each class I teach has an assigned coteacher. These coteachers usually just make sure the students listen to my lessons and aren't too crazy. Sometimes these coteachers come, other times they do not.)

So I was sad I wouldn't be with my typical 3rd graders. And I was more sad that I didn't have lessons for these new classes. So I had to make some up real fast. Not that awesome.

I teach a couple classes and then I have a period off...but then my normal 3rd grade class ends up coming to my classroom. I did not know where the coteacher was. So I figured maybe I had to do double duty today. Again, not that awesome.

I've been trying to open up the Koreans to American culture i.e. American music. So I've been playing the Billboard #1 song for the kids. I've also been attempting to say their names, which has led to countless laughs on my behalf.

So I take attendance. They laugh. I put on the music video for Jason Derulo's "Whatcha Say" (which I have previously been obsessed with so I sing along in class and I've decided that Jason is a beautiful man) and they like it.

One table calls me over and asks if we can watch a Korean music video (see previous post). I oblige. Then that one ends and they ask for more hip hop. So I turn on some Jay-Z and Alicia Keys "Empire State of Mind". And then they request Black Eyed Peas: "Boom Boom Pow"

Playing the "Boom Boom Pow" music video in my Korean class was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

This one table especially was really, REALLY into it. They hit almost every boom and pow on time and we pretended like we were gangsta, meaning we put our hands in the air and I swaggered when I walked back to the front of the class. It was hilarious.

Needless to say today was a real bonding day for class 3-3.

Also, in my last class I had to teach some 1st graders (7th graders). One of the kids reminded me of my little brother Erik which made me miss home (Shout out to ERIK!!!). And then the kid next to him decided to make me laugh hysterically. This random kid in the back of the classroom just looks at me and declares:

"MY NAME IS KOREAN TIGER!"

Then he makes tiger noises and turns his hands into tiger claws.

I laugh.

Then he points to the kid next to him and says:

"HE IS KOREAN FISH!"

And he makes a fish face.

And finally, the best part. He turns to the kid on his other side and says:

"HE IS KOREAN PIG"

The following noise could only be described as the most terrifying and awesome pig squeal in the world. His eyes got real wide (as wide as Korean eyes can get...wrong?) and he just let it out.

I hadn't laughed that hard since...well, since BOOM BOOM POW.

What a day.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

You have a great life! You lucky American horse (I feel like if you were an animal, that's what you'd be. Cause you're regal and can run really fast?)

Erin said...

Why are you the coolest teacher? You're getting them so prepared for real life! They NEED to know what is going on with music in America.

San Ba Po said...

Nice Korean pig, I hope you get to take a photo of them next time they do it.

Viva la Varner said...

Man I did not know that teaching English in Korea could be so entertaining. I wish you could wear a video camera and tape all these happenings. I dont know if they know how lucky they are to have gotten MissCindy Ford as their teacher...but oh they should

Jeff said...

i agree with varner. i want a 24 hour web cam news feed. je kiffe grav tes histoires. and those kids have no idea how lucky they are. well, maybe they do, considering they have to do with other teachers... the point is, i love you.