Monday, December 21, 2009

Boys in Korea

There are a lot of cultural differences between the U.S. and Korea.

Forks vs. chopsticks, for example.

But one thing I was not anticipating was the amount of physical touching between human beings.

In Korea, its not really awesome to have a lot of PDA with a significant other. There are signs on the subway that show its not cool to kiss a boyfriend or girlfriend on the train.

But when you're not dating someone, it seems like anything goes. Especially for people of the same sex.

I mean, its cute when you see two old ladies walking down the street, holding hands or linking arms, making sure they don't fall.

But what I'm really surprised about is the amount of touching that goes on between my students.

Yes, my students at the all boys middle school.

They hold hands. They link arms. We're watching a movie this week, and they have cuddled up with each other on the floor. And thats just the beginning...but I'll stop now. You get the picture. But we're talking 9th grade here. Isn't that a little old?

It weirds me out a little bit.

(not my students. well, maybe? you never know)

2 comments:

D said...

I blame the media. Or Obama. Its got to be one of their faults.

San Ba Po said...

It shall be your duty to teach them not to touch each other.

On the other hand, maybe they are just so pure, and they don't think it's a big deal at all. boys. Or, maybe they don't have alot of testosterone in their body, hence the cuddling?

still, a bit gross. Maybe that's why they all turned gay.