Friday, December 4, 2009

Content.

I have a super BFF named Jeff.


Jeff and I were able to meet on our study abroad in Paris. It was a magical time with friends, French, and fromage. He was a brave soul and stayed strong and sane while being the only boy out of 30 people in our program. Yes, that means he was almost constantly surrounded by 29 girls. Impressive, eh?

Jeff and I didn't hang out a ton on our study abroad, but it was only the beginning.

Almost four years later, I have found Jeff to be a solid friend. He is a good example and a good time. We have shared moments of utter happiness, disappointment, and confusion. And one time he yelled at me because I was being obnoxious during a very important phone call. (I'm still sorry about that, JD)


Anyways, the point of this is that Jeff is again living in Paris. He graduated and decided to fulfill a dream/work towards bigger goals by attending a prestigious acting school in the city of lights. Right around the time he moved to Paris, I came to Korea. It was comforting to have a friend in a similar situation as me: leaving home to find a new one; going to do something that other people couldn't really understand; living a dream.

Jeff is a talented guy. I would say he has good luck, but he works super hard to open up tons of opportunities. A few weeks ago he wrote a blog post that hit me about how while his decision to move to Paris could be considered a plethora of things (i.e. crazy) it was right for him. While reading his words I found myself beaming in happiness for him. He is where he is supposed to be.

I hate to admit it, but immediately after those feelings of happiness came for Jeff, feelings of bitterness and sadness for selfish reasons surrounded my mind. I wanted to be able to say that I knew I was where I was supposed to be. I wanted to declare that Korea and I were a perfect match and that I woke up everyday happy and knowing that I was in the right place. I mean, I've always felt like Korea is where I'm supposed to be right now, but I just didn't know it.

Until today.

It's late. I'm tired. But I am so happy.

I don't know what changed, but as I'm sitting here in my tiny studio apartment in Pyeongtaek, S. Korea, I know that I am meeting the best people, having the best experiences, and I know I am right where I am supposed to be.

And that, my friends, feels so good.

(my school in the back)

(Thanksgiving friends from church)

(Thanksgiving friends from America)

6 comments:

Soph said...

I am proud of you, my dear. You are lovely :)

Rachel said...

Hooray, Cindy!

I love you (and Jeff) and think you are living a wonderful, fabulous, brave, adventurous life.

Next time you're overwhelmed, call me and we'll sneak away to Paris :)

Katie said...

yey! I'm so happy for you miss Cindy. It is such a huge moment when you feel that way in a new place. Keep it up and you can always come and visit me in paris, oh yeah and that guy jeff too ;)

<3
Alice

Momma Elk said...

I am still obsessed/jealous of both you and JD. I am living through you two brave souls!

Jeff said...

J E T ' A I M E M O N A M I E .

Je t'aime a tout jamais.

kamille said...

aww i love both you and jeff and think you're both awesome for doing what could be considered crazy because you'll never have the chance to do it again! i am glad you're feeling happy there!! i love reading your experiences. keep 'em coming! oh and yes i propose a paris "sneak-away" reunion. hmm i better get some money.......