Monday, March 22, 2010

What's most surprising is that I've had the same job for 6 months


(maybe the two most unflattering pictures of me ever. but the top one is the last picture i took at home, in my basement, before leaving the US of A. and the bottom pic is me. now. six months later-get it? the 6 for 6 months? yeah. awesome. both pictures also adequately represent what I look like when i haven't had enough sleep)

True story.

Today (well, now Monday) is the six month anniversary of my arrival in Korea.

Wow.

I am experiencing a variety of feelings right now.

The time is moving too fast, but some days go by reallllllll slow.

Its hard for me to believe that I've already been living here for six months.

As strange as it is, it has become a home to me. I can mindlessly walk home in the dark without worrying I'll get lost or accosted by a drunk Korean man (they keep to themselves).

I can identify most of the foods I eat.

I have experienced the most freezing winter of my life. And for some reason it still won't quit.

Maybe more impressive is that I've actually worked the same job for six months. Whaaaaaat?! Yeah, I know. Mom and Dad are happy about that, I'm sure. The fact that I still like this job after six months (yes, it has its ups and downs, but for the most part I enjoy the actual job) is fantastic. I never believed I could like working the same thing for this long. Turns out I can. It's a wild, wild concept.

I've fallen in love with this country and its people.

I can tell my students apart and am even learning a good portion of their names. They don't laugh when I do roll call anymore.

Reading Korean has come in handy when I need it. I still struggle sometimes, but I'm getting better.

Also, being able to say numbers (in korean) still gets gasps of surprise by the kids. I love it.

Sometimes when I think about leaving I get really sad, mostly because I know I will miss my students. I love them.

I miss my family. A lot.

Skype can solve world peace. Over the internet.

I'm really glad I have friends. Here in Korea. And back home. I'm lucky.

Having my own apartment rocks. Even if it is the size of a shoebox. At least its my shoebox.

Sometimes I find Korean men attractive, but for the most part I've avoided the fever.

I like teaching. Again, who knew?

My bracket for March Madness really, really, really sucks.

Koreans are really blunt about a lot of things, but then really guarded about other things. Its a tough situation, but one I'm figuring out little by little every day.

I haven't fake used a sick day yet. I'm pretty sure I used at least four in the four months I worked at Target.

I'm genuinely grateful for the chance to be here and to experience everyday life in Korea. It is providing me with endless moments of beauty and laughter and truth. Even those days when I don't want to get out of bed because I'm tired and then I get to school and I'm cranky, I always (and i mean always) end up leaving with a smile on my face.

Yeah, Korea is awesome.

2 comments:

San Ba Po said...

16 american days till i see you~!!!

stewedslacker said...

WELCOME to some of the mission feelings. I get the feeling you'd make an awesome sister, and that you'd probably slit your wrists when it was time to go home.