Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

It started out as any other Earth Day.

I woke up happy to be living on this just strikingly beautiful planet, jumped out of bed, and threw on some clothes before walking to work.

Yeah. Did you hear that? I'm soooo environmentally friendly. I don't shower and I walk to work. I'm straight up green.

Work was solid, as it was Thursday and Thursdays I only have to teach 3 classes. So hello Facebook and Gchat! Can't complain.

I got home from work and quickly finished my Earth Day outfit. Its a new tradition I just started. Every year on Earth Day I'm going to make an outfit out of recycled materials. Yesterdays genius was found in the form of various plastic bags cut up and taped together in a classy yet unique vintage inspired dress.

Essentially, I was wearing a trash bag.

But that was a good decision.

The bad decision would soon follow.

There is a place in our little city that has a Ramen Challenge. Now, if you know me, you know I love a good challenge, especially if it involves food.

And ramen? Puhhhleease. I've been eating ramen my whole life. Its like I was preparing for last night since I was 10.

Or so I was hoping.

This challenge was to eat a GIANT bowl of ramen in 20 minutes. If you can do it, dinner is free.

There were nine of us at dinner. Four of us decided to undertake perhaps the worst decision of all time.


We were each seated at our own tables. The bowls were brought out to us. It was hearty in its portion but was sure I could do it. It's all mental, right? I psyched myself up to what would be the greatest physical obstacle ever encountered.


The owner of the restaurant was shocked that we were about to try this. He told us no women had ever even tried it before. Alex and I knew we could do this. We could break these stereotypes and show Korea whats up.


I had my game face on. The timer was set. We were off!


The soup and noodles burned as we shoved them in our mouths. My tongue still feels the pain of last night.


I perfected the system. The noodles had to cool down before I could eat them. This was the only way.

It was a good decision to wear my plastic bag dress. I didn't have to worry about getting messy. I could just focus.


The time was running out and I was getting nervous. There was still so much food to go! The broth and a handful of noodles was the only thing stopping me.

20 minutes ended. The owner came and said that since we were girls we could keep going, but we could no longer use our chopsticks and we could not put our bowls down.


Everyone started to crowd around us. Out of the four of us, I was the closest. The ramen had burned me and my stomach was starting to ache. But I wanted it. I wanted it bad.

And then...


I threw up.

The end.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh my gosh Cindy. I love you! I read your blog but I never comment, but when I read this I had to say something. Hahaha!

Kristalyn said...

Good for you for trying. DO you think you'll try another time? :) I'm very impressed that you could make a wearable dress from trash bags.

Jill said...

So...between your second to last picture and your last picture, your bowl went from having no liquid, to liquid. Is that because you threw up in your bowl?