Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm back baby!

Lately I've gotten into calling people 'babe' and 'boo'. And when I say people, I mean every single person around me. I don't really know where it came from. I mean, I have been using these terms very selectively for the past few years, but now they come out of my mouth at an alarming rate. A couple weeks ago some of my students let out a "Whats up baby?!" to me and it took me a second to replay every conversation I've had with them for the past 8 months to see if they got that phrase from me.

I don't think they did. So now its kind of a joke between us. I love having inside jokes with students.

One time when I was teaching a lesson on giving advice, I told the class I had a problem. I said that I really missed my family because they are soooo far away and that I needed advice to make me less homesick. They threw out the standard things that I was hoping they'd think of: call my family, webcam, email, etc.

Then one student yells out "SHUT UP!"

I was so confused! I looked at him and kind of started laughing. What an appalling piece of advice. I asked him if he thought that would be a good thing to say and he said yes. I didn't know what was happening.

The class looked at me a little puzzled and I thought they were just waiting for me to punish him for bursting out such absurdities.

Then someone repeated him.

"Cheer up!"

I'm an idiot sometimes.

"Ohhhhhh! Cheer up! I get it. I thought you said 'shut up!' "

The class died laughing and we kept repeating cheer up! No, shut up!

So now this class and I have a lasting joke that randomly comes up. It is the best.


No comments: