Monday, January 24, 2011

What a crying shame

My Monday night thoughts go as follows:

I spent a considerable amount of time (read: probably four hours) mindlessly wandering the internet tonight. And when I say the internet, I mean FB and HULU mostly, with a slice and dice of Law and Order thrown in there. I hate uploading pictures onto FB because then you have to go through the hassle of tagging the pictures and trying to think of clever captions and its really just exhausting. Which is why I decided to put in a serious FB workout tonight-you know, building up that strength is important. Next time it will be that much easier. (thanks jillian!)

I was thinking about my weird fear of commitment today. I have commitment issues with where I live, my hair color, shoe of the day, weekend plans, relationships, etc etc. But you want to know what I never had a fear of committing to? Facebook. We have been together now for over SIX years. I can do hard things. Best six years of my life.

Also, after talking to some friends about my current dating situation (i.e. non-existent) I was convinced to join a Mormon online dating website. I don't always give off the best first impressions in person, so I was keeping my expectations low online.

Thank goodness.

So far, I have only received what they call 'flirts' from men from other countries (dominican republic and mexico), men over the age of 40, and some guy with a chin bigger than Jay Leno.

One of my favorite messages was from a man currently living in Uganda:

"Your profile caught my eye and just want to say "HELLO" I will like to know more about you, Are you a single mom?
I enjoy a vibrant, sensuous, Kind and caring woman.
I would like her to be honest, sincere, fun, funny and easy going.
I'm searching for that special woman, the love of my life. "

Awesome, right? I think I already found love. Vibrant? check. Sensuous? You have no idea. Kind and caring? Sometimes...

So I feel great about that! I am lucky to live in a world where I can do all my living through the internet. LUCKY.

Also, thanks so much for the love of York! I'm really excited about going. And to those of you interested, I'll be doing the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program (TESOL) and when I finish I really want to help programs that teach English and citizenship classes to immigrants in our country. So, we'll see how that goes!

And you guys, have a great week. You deserve it.



(bear lake jan 2011)

5 comments:

Emily said...

oh man, that guy from uganda sounds like a catch.

speaking of favorite messages, i got this in my junk folder today:



Hello dear,

How are you,
I hope all is well with you. My Name is Aishah,
am Pleased to contact you. from online friends site, it really interest me in having communication with you. I will appreciate if you can write me back for love relationship, for friendship and to share more love words with you. and i have an important thing to share with, have a nice day.
I await hearing from you soonest.
Yours truly

Aishah.

Rachel said...

That's awesome!

I did a TESOL program at G-town and loved it. York sounds much better though (plus, everything is so much better with an English accent). I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Katie said...

Haha, oh Uganda! Cindy there's a man out there who will love you no matter your first impression, or maybe even because of it. And my guess is that he doesn't live in Africa. Who knows?

Janna said...

But you're not a single mom. Is that going to ruin things for you and Uganda? I hope not.

Momma Elk said...

Last night's fb run was the best we've ever had. I'll never forget it.