Monday, July 4, 2011

I love AmERica


Today I woke up and experienced the 4th of July for the first time ever in Provo, UT. As I saw the anticipation for the parade begin to build yesterday, I started to question my lack of knowledge of such an event. I was utterly confused. Since when do so many people start camping out the day before the parade? Why don't I remember it being so crazy? Where did these people even come from?! It was then I realized that I've never spent a 4th here. And that boggled my mind.



Parades are ok. What I found to be more entertaining than the parade was the people watching the night before. EVERYONE found a place on the side of the road. We observed the beginnings of a fist fight, only to be broken up soon after it started, by one police officer. And somehow every other police officer found out and they congregated. I tried asking one of them how I could get a ride in the back of a cop car and he replied, "get arrested". I told him that wouldn't be a problem.



Another funny interaction shared between the highway patrol officer and a young boy (prob about 5 years old):



BOY: Hey, I like your boots

COP: (actually wearing some pretty pimp boots that I noticed myself) Thank you.


BOY: Are you the sheriff?

COP: No, I'm better than the sheriff. I'm highway patrol.

BOY: Oh...I'd steal those boots if I'd have to!




I also noticed a women sharing the American spirit by shooting people with a bubble gun. Legit.




Anyways, I spent the rest of the day celebrating America in true form:

-watching the parade

-eating Mexican food

-being a good consumer and buying stuff I don't need. Or do need. Either or.

-watching Saving Private Ryan

-eating ice cream

-BBQ'ing with Koreans

-watching Gone in 60 Seconds




Now.




There are many reasons I love America.

1. I could do all of the above today because I didn't have to work. But I still got paid! AMERICA

2. Diversity (Mexicans. Asians. Europeans?) AMERICA

3. Lots of food. AMERICA

4. When NKOTBSB performed at their show in L.A. this past weekend, the world was once again aligned because KEVIN RICHARDSON joined the boys on stage. You have no idea how much I would've loved every second of that. I dream of it.


BSB bros!







5. BSB in general. AMERICA.

6. Hollywood and the movies/shows it produces. And the joy it brings to my life. AMERICA.

7. Political disputes, no matter how ridiculous they are. AMERICA.

8. It's just so pretty. Seriously. Beautiful. AMERICA.

9. Fireworks that explode so loud you think you've gone deaf. AMERICA.

10. Mark Zuckerberg. AMERICA.



These are just a few reasons, but I think you catch my drift. It all comes down to freedom. Freedom to quit a boy band but randomly surprise the world with an appearance. The freedom to love. The freedom to live.




Thanks America. You're pretty great.

2 comments:

blakecgriffin said...

That parade was the bane of my existence when I lived on Center. There's no good reason to have a million high school marching bands walking by your bedroom window when you're trying to sleep in.

Erin said...

When I read that you've never been in Provo for the 4th, I was like, "WHAAAAAAT?" and apparently you thought the same thing.

My favorite thing about the night before crowd is that a lot of those people don't even go to the parade. They're the sort of people you see at Wal-Mart in the middle of the night and think, "We live in the same town?" And then they party all night and sleep through the parade. I love it. I LOVE the 4th of July here. It is the best. AMERICA.