Monday, August 8, 2011

One Time I Worked At: A Series

Recently I've been thinking about all the different jobs I've been able to have up to this point in my life. Maybe its because I really hate my current job and would rather go do any of these jobs again instead. But whatever the reason, you deserve to know. I actually worked these jobs. These are my stories. dun dun!

A lot of my random jobs came during the summer months home from college. I went home every summer during college, but strangely ended up living in Provo the two summers following graduation. It was weird.

Anyways, for summer jobs you just really had to network. Luckily people had my back and I got to work some solid jobs.

One summer I got a position working at an insurance company at their front desk. It was an interesting situation in that the agent in the office got in a horseback riding accident and became paralyzed, leaving her in a rehab center for a couple months after her surgery. Her son, who normally didn't work in the office but I'm pretty sure was also a licensed agent, decided to take care of her clients and workload while she recovered. To help ease this transition for him, he wanted to hire on a secretary of sorts. Enter: me.

A lady in my ward knew the agent and sent me to interview. It was one of those interviews that was just for kicks, because I was automatically hired for the 12 hours a week (i know, it kept me pretty busy...) Now, let me just say right now that I had/have no real interest or knowledge of any part of the insurance business. My job was to answer the phones, give quotes to people (i hated this the most, because, well, i was probably wrong most of the time) and other odds and ends the boss man Eric would have me do. At least I think his name was Eric. I don't really remember.

One of the more awkward moments was one day when Eric came into the office and was obviously hung over. Or maybe just really, really tired. He wanted to go visit his mom in the hospital so naturally he made me drive him there. In his car. Maybe worse was that I was mildly attracted to him, and he had really nice cologne. This is all I remember of him. I wish I had more memories...like his real name because I'm pretty sure now that that's not right.

Anyways, sometimes Eric made me go out on the town to take pictures of clients properties for their files. When he was explaining it to me I remember being very confused.

Eric: Ok, Cindy, I need you to go take pictures of these people's houses. I need you to do a close up of their roof so I can see the shingles, a picture of the front of their house, and then a pic of their electrical box.

Cindy: Their electrical box? Isn't that usually at the back of the house?

Eric: Yes

Cindy: So what if they're not home? Do I just go back later?

Eric: No, if you can get through their fence, just go back. Watch out for dogs.

And watch out for dogs I did. I probably broke into dozens of backyards. I was chased by a few dogs. I remember one house in particular was in downtown Denver, in kind of a shady part of town. I drove past it at least three times trying to decide if I should even try to approach this one. There were two very large men sitting in the front yard, and I was a little scared. But then I just got out of my car and in my most professional voice I asked them if I could take a picture of their roof. And electrical box. Because why else would I be there?

They kind of joked around, like men do, pretending to be funny but really I just tried not to run away. They let me into their backyard but they stayed in the front. It was when I rounded the corner I saw their giant dog. It looked mean. I stayed close to the house. The dog ran towards me...and just at the moment it would've been in arms length, it was pulled back by its chain. Just like the movies my friends.

I didn't move. I got the best picture I possibly could, and then I ducked out as quick as possible.

And that's why I'm not cut out for the insurance business.


No comments: