Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Flying into Glass

When I came home for a visit earlier this year, I was sitting in the dining room, much like I am at this exact moment, when I heard something banging.

It quickly became quiet yet again, so I didn't think much of it, and continued on in my own little world.

And then I heard the banging again.

Another few minutes and the banging continued.

I was so confused as to where this noise was coming from that I got up and started looking around.  

Then I looked up (which inspires most things, right?) and I saw that there was a bird that was flying directly into our highest window.


The tree beside our house, where the bird was perched, was not sufficient enough, and so the bird got up to fly.


But it would just fly into our window, a mere five feet away, over and over and over again.

I sat there watching this for a long time.  The bird would wait a few minutes in between attempts, but it kept flying into our window.  It didn't change its direction.  It didn't learn.  It just kept trying.

After talking to my parents, I learned that this bird would do it at the nearly the exact same time every morning and every evening.  It would keep on for about half an hour, and then it would stop.  Only to repeat the activity in a mere 12 hours.

I thought this was very strange.  


But then I started thinking about how many times I have been perched on my tree, comfortable yet wanting more. And then I get up to fly...straight into a window.  And I do it over and over again.


I don't change my direction. I know that I want to fly, and I do, but sometimes I think I fly into a window.

So right now my challenge is to simply change my course to a different destination.  Where I can actually fly for more than five feet, and hopefully not into a window.

And I mean, flying is still flying, even if its into a window.

1 comment:

Viva la Varner said...

Very deep Cindy...one day you can tell this story in church or at a fireside or at a marriage prep/life prep/job prep seminar.