Thursday, December 13, 2012

12-12-12 and Middle School


Last night I went out with some friends for some dinner to celebrate 12-12-12.  Because why wouldn't we do that?  

In honor of the holiday that was 12-12-12, I tried getting everyone to only talk in 12 word sentences.  It was much more difficult (and time consuming) then we were all willing to dedicate ourselves to, so our holiday celebrations has to be amended.  The natural suggestion was to then get up and dance/walk around our chair every time someone said 12-12-12.  It was fun until people started abusing this and we made multiple rotations around our chairs in the middle of our dinner.  Even the waitresses were getting in on the action and stopping by our table just to say the date.


And then I wondered how I had friends.

Also today at the school I work at we had a our Christmas social for the students.  And if there's something everyone needs to go to, it's a middle school dance years and years after you yourself went through middle school.  Awkwardness seeps through your veins the moment you step into the gym where the dance is held.  There are boys vs. girls groups, perfectly coordinated outfits, no one actually dancing, and a general sense of unhappiness and self-doubt throughout the room.  Actually, if you've ever been to a Mormon dance, it could be described in the same way.

But middle school also incorporates puberty.  What a bonus.

Upon seeing me at the social, some of my students approached me to say hello, while others averted their eyes every time I walked in their general direction.  And that, my friends, is when I knew I had finally come full circle in my life.

No comments: