Wednesday, January 30, 2013

School Stuff

I had a sixth grade student tell me that I looked like an alien yesterday.

He tried to soften the blow, saying that it wasn't bad.  But that I still looked like an alien.  He said the phrase "You look like an alien" probably five times in 30 seconds.  Thing is, yesterday I had my bangs (fringe, for my friends from across the pond) pulled back so that my five-head was in full view. I think that is what inspired him to make his observation.

I've also become friends with one of the custodial workers in my school.  He's pretty legit, and I love it mostly because he is someone that I would seemingly have nothing in common with, but we chat every morning.  I mean, we do have something in common, as I used to be a custodian (he was shocked when I told him that) and so sometimes we talk about cleaning and the best place to take a nap.  He also tells me personal details about his life and I smile and mostly talk about how boring my life is (last night I went to sleep at 9 pm. BOOM. CRAZY).  He invited me to go out with him ('it's going to be a gooood weekend') and I told him maybe?  I kind of want to because I feel like it could result in good stories, but it could also be weird.  I'll let you know.  Maybe.

I also have a student who told me about how her dog had puppies last night, and the mom dog hates the puppies and straight up started eating her young.  Student claims the mom dog ate the head off one of the puppies and that is disgusting.  I don't know if this really happens (my other student said that his brother had bunnies and one of his bunnies was beheaded as well) but if it does, I am grossed out.  And all I can think about is "Our pets heads are falling off!"  This animal talk led me to share my passion against animals and how I used to hate the dog that my host family had in Paris.  Gelou.  I will always hate Gelou.  And how I didn't notice that one of our dogs was put down for a whole week.  Because I'm kind of a horrible person. 

I teach math.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Most of your last paragraph would make an excellent poem.


I used to hate the dog that my host family had in Paris.
Gelou.
I will always hate Gelou.
And, how I didn't notice that one of our dogs was put down for a whole week.
Because I'm kind of a horrible person.

I teach math.

Natalie said...

I've been catching up on your entertaining blog/fascinating life while I eat a pumpkin muffin for lunch. But that part about the pets' heads? Well, that just makes me need to toss my cookies.

And when I do, does that mean I get another helping, i.e., four more cookies??