Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Teaching.

The school year is almost at its halfway point, and there are some things I want to remember about my life right now.

I want to remember how excited my little after school choir is every week when we meet.  Sometimes I struggle to love working that one extra hour after school, but they are just so happy to be there.  I want all my students to share just a baby amount of that excitement in every class they have.  I want them to discover the power of learning.

I want to remember those little moments when a student shares an accomplishment with me.  A 100% on a ten point assignment??  Perfect.  Nothing lower than a C on your progress report?  Amazing.  Coming to school in only a hoodie when its 0 degree (degrees? i will have to research this) outside?  You're crazy but I'm glad you're here.  Telling me you've memorized every word to the song Royals by Lorde and then proving it to me on command?  My favorite.

I want to remember the looks of disgust I get from students when they see my One Direction calendar.  December is Louis, and no one is happy about that.


I want to remember the kids calling me to their circle to tell me a secret.  I love middle school secrets so much.  If we could all live with so much passion as seventh graders.

I want to remember their faces when they 'get it'.  

I want to remember how much I like my coworkers.  Because I really, really do.  And hopefully I will still like them in five months.  I'd even take four months.

It would be great if I could remember everything funny they say.  And how one day they love me and the next they hate me so much.  It really is impressive how quickly they get over things.  I need to learn that.

Mostly, I like where I'm at right now.  And I don't want to forget it. 

fin.