Tuesday, September 23, 2014

To the Deer

Today.

I decided on my way to work this morning that I would go to one of my favorite little trails after school.  To celebrate both summer and autumn.  And to savor the days of warm weather without any chance of snow.  Because snow will soon come.

Just moments into the trail, I make eye contact.

I break only to look around and find two other deer, all three of them intently staring at me.  

It was on.


We stared.  I walked, they jumped, we stared.



And in that moment, during our intense staring contest, I did what any normal human would do:



I started to dance.



I mean, my reasoning was that they obviously wanted a show.  So my headphones were in and my groove was coming out.



The deer just kept staring (like most humans) and I'm sure they were trying to figure out if I was going to strike or strike a pose.  In the end, I was the one who ended up losing interest, and continued my evening.

But then, instead of walking, the rest of my time was spent walking/dancing.  On the trails, in the meadows, by the creek.  It was a dance party.


And my heart was full.


I instantly just became focused on the good in my life.  The goodness of that exact moment between me, the deer, the music, and the world. I laughed.  Then I saw a stranger and wondered how long they had seen me dancing.  And I glad about that, too.

I drove to dinner and was glad for the handlebar mustache on the man in the car next to me.  And the woman who had love tattooed on her wrist.  I was glad that it was taco Tuesday and that I had made a new friend recently.


There are so many things to be glad about, and I'm glad the deer reminded me.


No comments: