Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Diagnosis

Recently it has come to my attention that I am stricken with an 'almost-illness'.  Something that nobody really wants but isn't contagious.  Something that, when people find out about it, they worry about you.  They say comforting things to you; they tell you it's all going to work out--that everything will be ok.

A selection of other standard phrases:


"Timing is everything"

"You're stronger for this"
"Everything happens for a reason"

Just to let the world know-I hate all of these phrases.  I hate whenever anyone says them to me.  And I don't think I'm alone in this.  I actually think that everyone with my 'almost-illness' hates these phrases.

My diagnosis: Being Single.

Yes, I've had it on and off again for the entirety of my adult life.  Sometimes I'm lucky and go into a remission of sorts, but it has always come back.  I see people who make it past this into loving (and sometimes miserable) commitments.  I delight in their happiness.  I feel for their pains.  I see that all seasons of life come with beauty and struggle. 

But I don't see as this time as only a struggle.  It is, like every moment of progression, a time of opportunity and growth.  A time to strengthen and serve.  A time to go on sweet vacations and go to the movies alone.  

Every once in awhile I try to force my way out of this ailment.  I go to Rodizio Grill-Brazilian Steakhouse.  I leave my number for one of the meat guys named Ramon.  I wait three days until he finally texts me but then it's all in vain because he never responds a second time.  And I think: should I have left my number for other guy Marcelo instead?


3 comments:

blakecgriffin said...

You're stronger for this, Cindy.

Rachel said...

Ramon's timing is everything...

Love you, Cindy!

Katie Chandler said...

The world needs a Taboo buzzer that goes off anytime someone says "Everything happens for a reason."