Monday, July 25, 2016

Mormon in Harlem

I was talking with a friend recently about the direction of this blog when I moved to NYC.  Some friends suggested I really work the vibe of being Mormon in Harlem (which, spoiler alert, there are many of the Mormons in Harlem), but I appreciated the title.  However, my friend and I were trying to also include something about me being single in the title.  


Some options included: 

Solo Mormon in Harlem
Single and Afraid Mormon in Harlem
All by Herself Mormon in Harlem
Cries Alone Every Night Mormon in Harlem

As you can tell, they took a sad turn so I think I'm just going to stick with the original.  If anyone needs to question my relationship status, they can ask to be privy to my weekly email to friends wherein we discuss the most important updates from the previous week.  They're usually pretty good reads and also sometimes shameful.  

Anyways, I arrived yesterday afternoon and almost immediately saw a man playing a trombone while he was driving his car.  It was one of those times when I felt like this was the place for me.  I mean, it's the place for anyone and everyone at some point in their lives.  But this- this is the place for me at this moment in time.  I went to get fingerprinted today and when I was finished, the woman wished me good luck.  I took it to mean good luck in life, but I think she was really hoping I'd pass my background check.  So send good vibes. Because if she's worried, I'm worried.

And just to continue on this scattered mess of words on a page, if anyone has a New York Goal for me (#newyorkgoal #mormoninharlem), let me know.  I'm ready to mix things up in life.

Best NYC welcoming crew

PS: I already miss you my Denver.  And all the humans therein.

1 comment:

Ninja Monkey said...

How about Angel of Harlem? Then you can have your own theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biNvjeHYGt8