Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Welcome Winter

I moved to NYC this summer during a heat wave.  It was about 4804 degrees, according to my calculations, and I almost instantly hated it.  Did I really move to this city to sweat with my closest 45 friends on an unairconditioned subway car?  I had no desire to touch any other human or object. #sweat.

Now that the weather is a little cooler, though, I'm really starting to dig on the NYC vibes.  There are Christmas lights everywhere, people aren't as angry at each other, and there are delicious treats on every corner.

Yes.Plz.

Winter also means one other thing: cuffing season.

I don't know when or where this term came from (I just googled it and there are some interesting facts but I'm not going to write them all here, although I do appreciate all the graphs on this Huffington Post article), but from what I understand it's basically mating season for humans.  It's cold, people want to hibernate, but they don't want to hibernate alone...they want someone else in that corner with them.

Listen.  I get it.

And I think I've unintentionally fallen in this cuffing season trap.

Without realizing it, I've been recommitting a little harder to Tinder, I've been giving second glances when I would normally gloss over, and I've been hitting on waiters and cell phone store guys like it's going OUT.OF.STYLE.

I mean, last week when I was jumping on the bus at 6:30 am, I made eye contact with a guy on the street and he did the lip pucker thing to me, and I almost winked back at him.  Why would I do this?  Was I really interested in this stranger?  Or did I just like the idea that if I had winked back, we could one day be sipping on hot chocolate while listening to Christmas music and ice skating in Central Park?

Because that does sound delightful.  I should've winked.

So now as I pursue the winter storms in this city of 8 million, and I as I contemplate the upcoming months, when the holidays are over, the lights come down, and people yell at each other again, I wonder if it's worth it.  Should I try to jump in this game of love, even if its temporary?  Should I stay out late past my 10 pm bed time to try and find a snuggle buddy?  Or will it end before Valentines Day and will I end up drowning in a pool of my own tears?

I ask these questions...now you give me the answers.



1 comment:

Katie Chandler said...

According to Scott, cuddling is THE BEST (said in Nacho Libre tone). He would vote for cuffing. According to me, spooning is overrated. But I'm freezing, so...