Skip to main content

What if Facebook never existed?


I just asked myself that question. Or how about: What if Facebook shuts down? What if the internet networking business suddenly broke down and we all were left stranded in the middle of 1-15 with walking as our only mode of transportation? It would be like if God decided He didn't want to send down any more manna after however many years of plenty.
Ouch.


I shudder at this thought.


Some might call me a FB junkie. I will neither confirm nor deny that statement.


FB-ing has seriously changed the way we interact with each other. And I use the word "interact" loosely. I am fully aware of my guilt in everything I am about to say, but only because I'm trying to keep up in this fast-paced world we live in.


FB significantly decreases physical interaction. Which probably isn't very good considering we could all use a little more body love. (I'm doubting the use of my phrase body love but I'll keep it in). As much fun as 'poking' is, it's got nothing on the hand to leg or hand to pec caress (two of my personal fave's) in the real world.


It is also changing the world of flirting. Warning: I am not an expert on this subject, but it seems as though flirting has been permanently distracted to FB. It reminds me of when texting first popped up and there became almost a standard post-date text (i.e. "I had a lot of fun tonight-can't wait til next time" or something more my style "Hey, next time I hope you take off your shirt...don't worry-I can help"). Now when you become interested in someone, or even if you're not, you stalk them like crazy on good ol' FB. You base your compatibilty on whether or not you have the same taste in music or movies; don't even get me started on how much I judge someone for having an obsessively long "About Me" section. Goo.


Point is, we think too much before we even meet the dude (or chick). This makes the first meeting awkward no matter what-if you have stuff in common you'll talk about it but there will probably be a moment in the date where it slips you checked out their pics on FB (and your date prob did the same) or if you weren't impressed with their FB profile you won't even give them much of a chance. Which sucks because a FB profile isn't really the best way to judge someone (as much as we think it does). We need to start meeting people in human-to-human settings to form a more natural opinion of another person. I know that profiles can be more accurate than an initial introduction, but whats the fun in reading about another person? We need to experience to fully appreciate. (Which might be why I like caressing so much)


FB-ing also opens the world up to our personal lives. Wall-to-wall? I've read conversations between two people I haven't even met. I have known events to transpire that I haven't been invited to. Sometimes this equals pain, but sometimes it equals countless hours of mindless entertainment like unto a favorite sitcom or movie.


It has introduced countless blessings to the world. Take "Who's got the biggest brain" for example. I always wondered if my abnormally large head contained an abnormally large brain-not true. Thanks FB, for answering that question.


I realize I sidetracked some in this post, but it all narrows down to this: I have a love-hate relationship with FB.


Or in the words of Rihanna "I hate how much I love you" FB.

Comments

Jill said…
I hate how much I can relate to this. And did you just put up that football countdown since I last checked your blog like 45 seconds ago? Because it makes me the happiest. And also the loneliest as I think of the byu football players I not-so-secretly love.
Ben said…
Um, this is a very interesting blog, considering how you usually respond to my comments on your FB before I post them. That's how much you love FB. Let me just check...yep. You changed your profile pic again.

Haha, seriously, good insight. I agree with you on this. I think I am officially taking a step forward and deleting my MS (myspace).

Cinder, let's keep it real, at least betwixt thee and I.

Grassiaass.
D said…
Where would I be without facebook? It has helped me stalk so many of my ex-girlfriends boyfriends, (which is going to bust into the thousands any day now), dates to be, and friends of friends. It has also eroneously led me to believe that I have like 300 friends, when in reality the number is closer to 5. If there was no facebook, I might actually be forced to be outgoing and meet new people. Don't let that happen, facebook! Stay strong!
Ross said…
I consider myself a casual FBer. I book for a few minutes on weekends, holidays, and all throughout May.

And feel free to continue using Rihanna quotes--I'm familiar.

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...