Skip to main content

Teaching.

The school year is almost at its halfway point, and there are some things I want to remember about my life right now.

I want to remember how excited my little after school choir is every week when we meet.  Sometimes I struggle to love working that one extra hour after school, but they are just so happy to be there.  I want all my students to share just a baby amount of that excitement in every class they have.  I want them to discover the power of learning.

I want to remember those little moments when a student shares an accomplishment with me.  A 100% on a ten point assignment??  Perfect.  Nothing lower than a C on your progress report?  Amazing.  Coming to school in only a hoodie when its 0 degree (degrees? i will have to research this) outside?  You're crazy but I'm glad you're here.  Telling me you've memorized every word to the song Royals by Lorde and then proving it to me on command?  My favorite.

I want to remember the looks of disgust I get from students when they see my One Direction calendar.  December is Louis, and no one is happy about that.


I want to remember the kids calling me to their circle to tell me a secret.  I love middle school secrets so much.  If we could all live with so much passion as seventh graders.

I want to remember their faces when they 'get it'.  

I want to remember how much I like my coworkers.  Because I really, really do.  And hopefully I will still like them in five months.  I'd even take four months.

It would be great if I could remember everything funny they say.  And how one day they love me and the next they hate me so much.  It really is impressive how quickly they get over things.  I need to learn that.

Mostly, I like where I'm at right now.  And I don't want to forget it. 

fin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...