Skip to main content

Diagnosis

Recently it has come to my attention that I am stricken with an 'almost-illness'.  Something that nobody really wants but isn't contagious.  Something that, when people find out about it, they worry about you.  They say comforting things to you; they tell you it's all going to work out--that everything will be ok.

A selection of other standard phrases:


"Timing is everything"

"You're stronger for this"
"Everything happens for a reason"

Just to let the world know-I hate all of these phrases.  I hate whenever anyone says them to me.  And I don't think I'm alone in this.  I actually think that everyone with my 'almost-illness' hates these phrases.

My diagnosis: Being Single.

Yes, I've had it on and off again for the entirety of my adult life.  Sometimes I'm lucky and go into a remission of sorts, but it has always come back.  I see people who make it past this into loving (and sometimes miserable) commitments.  I delight in their happiness.  I feel for their pains.  I see that all seasons of life come with beauty and struggle. 

But I don't see as this time as only a struggle.  It is, like every moment of progression, a time of opportunity and growth.  A time to strengthen and serve.  A time to go on sweet vacations and go to the movies alone.  

Every once in awhile I try to force my way out of this ailment.  I go to Rodizio Grill-Brazilian Steakhouse.  I leave my number for one of the meat guys named Ramon.  I wait three days until he finally texts me but then it's all in vain because he never responds a second time.  And I think: should I have left my number for other guy Marcelo instead?


Comments

blakecgriffin said…
You're stronger for this, Cindy.
Rachel said…
Ramon's timing is everything...

Love you, Cindy!
Katie C. said…
The world needs a Taboo buzzer that goes off anytime someone says "Everything happens for a reason."

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...