Skip to main content

Running to the Bus

I know what you're all wondering: am I still only eating at McDonalds or has my palate become so sophisticated that I only dine at the finest New York restaurants.  Also because I'm a teacher so OBVI I'm rolling in the dough and can afford it.

I don't want to crush your dreams.  I ate nuggets last week.

It's official that I live here now and I think I'm finally hitting my stride.  It's interesting because you think about moving to New York and then you end up here and you realize life is mostly the same. You go to bed early because you need to wake up before the sun so you can run to your bus stop so you can make a transfer to another bus so you can get to school on time to pick up the kids and steal one of the breakfasts they get and then try to figure out how to teach the 2016 election without providing your own personal commentary on everything that's happening because these little minds need to figure it out on their own.  And then when you finally DO leave work, the sun is already setting and you're so tired that all you can manage is a BBQ chicken wrap from the Golden Deli around the corner from your apartment and you watch an episode of Arrested Development and scroll through Tinder before falling asleep by 10 (at the latest).

So glamorous.

And to be honest, there have been hard days.  There have been days I've missed my bus and then my train and then I've forgotten I need to do laundry and my grocery bag has ripped open and I've cursed this city and all that it is.  Because sometimes it's terrible.


Those are the times I go to bed and wake up and remember that every day can be great.  Those are the days I remind myself that I've moved here on my own volition and I can do something today that I wouldn't be able to do anywhere else.  Most of the time that includes talking to someone from such a different walk of life from me that I learn something I never knew before.  Sometimes that means going to a Broadway show or a museum or eating Kool-aid flavored ice cream.  These are all real things I've done and yes, the ice cream was super good.  I would highly recommend it.  I wouldn't recommend the churro ice cream cone, however.  Basically living here has opened my eyes to the creativity of the ice cream world.  But not the ice cream museum because those tickets sold out too fast for me and I'm still mad about it.


I've done some other things, too.  Below is a smattering of Halloween, bro-visit (#fordstakenyc), and a kid who seemingly doesn't have any bones in his body.

     








I'm excited for the weekend because I'll probably see a movie and take naps and I can't wait I'M LIVING THE NYC DREAM.





Comments

Katie C. said…
I admire that you took a leap of faith to move to New York this year! And of course I'm glad that you did because we were able to visit and laugh with you, and watch your hip-hop street performance with the Brooklyn Bridge crew (at least, I imagined what it would have looked like if you had jumped in). Should you decide to do Milwaukee for a year, you know who to call :)

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...