Skip to main content

Everything at Once

After two months of marriage, my new husband Moe (shout out MOE) and I decided we needed something new.  After all, we had already mastered our relationship and living together and New York City paycheck to paycheck and apartments and traffic and desserts and pizza. It didn't take long for us to become familiar with each others quirks and scents, as we created our own routines like making dinner instead of going out to eat, going to bed at a reasonable hour because we already act like the elderly, and staring deep into each others eyes as our default chosen activity.

So, we moved to Utah.


In a quick three week turnaround, Moe was offered a job, we packed up our apartment, had a terrible moving company move us, drove across the country, played Untitled Goose game in Chicago, saw my high school woodshop teacher at a BBQ joint in Kansas City, cooked 9 pies and ate Thanksgiving dinner with my family in Denver, and landed in Utah.

When I think about life and how weird it is, this move is near the top of the list. I wasn't mentally prepared to return to (nearly) my college town, which holds its own memories and complexity, but it also felt like the right choice. I've been especially joyful in celebrating Moe in a job that values him and that gives him lots of flexibility, so he can truly understand a work-life balance for the first time in his adult life. Worth it already.

Now instead of watching 90 day Fiance on our couch in Harlem, we're watching it on our couch in Pleasant Grove (which, if you haven't seen it you need to because it is the best and you love/hate it so much you can't stop). Instead of ordering pizza and devouring it every Friday night because I convinced Moe it was a good idea, we are picking up a table we found on Facebook marketplace for the same price where I hope we share good food with good friends for years to come (and not just because it was a beast to move so we're never getting a new one).


There is something I've always relished about change. I love the new scenery, the new faces, the new perspectives; but this time feels a little different. It feels more permanent, which makes me think we can settle in a little more. It feels weird. But good.

So, like, if you're in UTAH plz lets hang out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...