Skip to main content

Cruel Joke

Dear 7-11,

When I first got here, I basked in your familiarity. In a world of BBQ chicken and Family Marts, you had given me a glimpse of the good ol' U.S.A. It took a few days to get used to 7-11 without gas pumps, but I soon forgave you for these shortcomings.

But you are also a cruel, cruel deceiver. Every time I walk past your colorful 7, I immediately have want of a cold fountain drink or, heaven forbid, maybe even a slurpee. I dream of being able to own my own Korean slurpee mug that only would cost 1000 won for a refill. You see, when I think 7-11, I think these things. (and Raj)

Alas, you cannot provide these necessities to me. There are no mugs. There are no slurpees. There is no icy cold Diet Coke. (and there are no day old donuts waiting to be bought). It is a land of cup o' noodles and top ramen.

So while you are good to have around, I would prefer it if we stopped seeing each other. It's just getting too hard. And yes, this means I'll have to find a new way to work in the morning. But it's better this way. For us both.

And while I have your attention, 7-11, will you please tell me why you're the cool place for old Korean men during the evenings/weekends? Your plastic tables and chairs tell me its a commonality, but I just don't get the appeal.

Especially when you're sans slurpees.


Until we meet again (the right way),
Cindy

Comments

D said…
That is a travesty. You are a lone voice in the wilderness crying for reform, and it is my prayer that you are heard.
MyKelle J said…
7-11 with no slurpees?! what the? that is just cruel...
Chad and Bekah said…
I love Raj. He was pretty funny and definitely part of the reason I went to 7/11 in provo.
DeeAura said…
I'll get a hot chocolate there today in honor of you. And I'll wear a headband while I do it, too. :)
Unknown said…
That is so messed!!! When I saw the picture of 7-11 all I wanted was a cold diet coke...rip off!!! I can't wait til you get back here and we can go get a cold beverage together!
Mama Quada said…
I drank diet coke last night in honor of you. and I made my roommates eat koeran food last weekend in honor of you. don't worry, we like it.
Jeff said…
the other day i went into a subway (not the metro but the sandwich place) because i heard that they had installed fountain drinks, and they had. but refills were still one euro. lame. but one step closer.

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...