Skip to main content

I'm pretty sure I just ate a whole small chicken

Good morning my friends in the USA! Weird how my Monday is ending and yours is just beginning.

I love and miss all of you.

And I'm pretty sure I really did just eat an entire small chicken.

You see, here in Korea I don't have the luxury to really know what I'm eating. But its been a rule of mine that if it tastes good, I'll eat it.

Last week we had some fried chicken as one of our 'side dishes' for school lunch. I was glad to recognize this food. But that was before I realized all our utensils included was a pair of chopsticks and a spoon. I froze. I tried to nonchalantly glance around the room to see what everyone else was doing. I was shocked.

They were eating fried chicken with chopsticks.

How this is done, better yet, how I figured out how to do this, is still a mystery. But I do know I ate that chicken and I ate it proudly.

(also today I'm pretty sure we had some kind of heart. i took a bite-nothing special-and then i took a closer look at this meat creation. there were definite arteries. that ended my consumption of that dish)

I have had my eye on this one particular restaurant for awhile now. It has big colorful photos of food when you walk past it so I knew I'd be able to point proudly. And maybe the chicken in the pictures look strangely familiar to Americanized seasame chicken from the local buck-a-scoop (I miss the buck-a-scoop. And you, Jordan). So secretly I was hoping it would taste the same, too.

I worked late (boo) so I decided just to head over there on my way home. The restaurant was empty and the couple who owned it jumped to my request. I pointed to the one I wanted. I waited with eager hunger for my meal.

The best part of getting my food to-go is that I spend the whole walk home wondering what exactly I will be eating. I usually have an idea, but things never turn out the way you think. I questioned my decision.

That all stopped when I took my first bite. It was delish.

I continued to eat my way through the box. I felt like Darren at Applebees half price appetizers (he is really the only person I know who prefers eating chicken wings with the bones...crazy. Also, click on his name and go read his blog. Sometimes he's funny. And I want him to stop complaining about how no one reads it). I brutally destroyed this chicken.

(how much do we LOVE pictures of me eating?!)

In the end, I regret my decision. Too much too soon.

And that, my friends, is my story.

Comments

You're so brave.... I would be worried about even trying foods that I couldn't identify! Haha :)
Jill said…
that sounds so delicious right now. i saw someone wearing an orange knit hat today and it made me miss you. not because you have an orange knit hat. but you have a white one i think, and i wouldn't put it past you to sport something construction orange one day. just for fun.
San Ba Po said…
can i send you some forks? what's your address?
Erin said…
Fried chicken with chopsticks is incredible.
D said…
Aww. Loved the shoutout. Even if it came with a diss. Our relationship in a nutshell.
Ben said…
Mmm. So delicious. Just add root beer.
Jordan said…
ditto to D. now I feel special, a kind of special that only cindy can make me feel. thanks, dear.

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...