Skip to main content

Mardi Gras and Congress

Wow. Today was a BIG day.

Mardi Gras!!! Or as I like to call it, Fat Tuesday.

I thought I'd share a little tidbit about this glorious holiday, but let's be honest: its all about booze and beads.

I think the best thing I read on the Wikipedia entry is its excerpt on the celebrations in Slovenia:

In Slovenia it is called Kurentovanje. It's from the word Kurent which is the name of a mask, made of sheep skin and richly decorated. People make noise with bells attached on their hips. It's also one of the traditions to eat doughnuts.

Short and sweet. And who doesn't like doughnuts. I want to celebrate Mardi Gras in Slovenia next year!! (hey! if I go to France that could totally happen!!!)

Anyways, today was also important because President Obama gave his first Congress Address. I don't know how many of you watched it, but it was like a roller coaster of Nancy Pelosi going up and down. Seriously. After awhile you would notice her preparing to get ready to jump up in enthused applause. Settle down Nancy! Let the man finish his sentence!

*Insert: In celebration of both Mardi Gras and the President, my friend and I watched the speech while eating our glorious buck-a-scoop Chinese food. I think the buck-a-scoop might be the best way to dine during these times of recession...or anytime. Have you seen how big they make those scoops?!*

I was excited to see some of my favorite faces though. Ol' Joe Biden, Justice John Roberts, random girl who wrote Obama a letter about her crumbling school and who got invited to hear him speak (if I were her I would've liked to have been given a pony instead), Joe Lieberman, and Harry Reid. And all the other Congressmen.

Obama gave a fine speech. It was full of hope and promises (but of course with no real solutions) but I'd say it was expected, well-written, and well executed (I can't say the same for the man responsible for the Republican Response: Bobby Jindal...goo). The way Obama speaks just makes you believe what he's telling you. Which is good. Or bad.

Happy Mardi Gras!

Comments

blakecgriffin said…
First, you just like Joe Biden because of his facial features, particularly his forehead.

Second, you preferring a pony is precisely why you aren't invited to congressional proceedings.

Third, I'm all about celebrating Fat Tuesday somewhere awesome. But Hostel takes place in Slovenia, and that's not cool. Let's go to Norway.
I believe Nancy had gas. the way she clapped her hands together looked to me as a desperate attempt to waft the smell over toward Biden. Poor guy, he doesn't deserve that.

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...