Skip to main content

St. Patricks Day Miracle

It all started many years ago. I was in high school and I decided I would write down all my dreams in life in a "to-do before i die" list (very similar to the bucket list but better).

One of these dreams was to get my hair cut into a mullet.

I know I know. Really. Who wants something like this? It was a bizarre and random goal but it was also one that never left me. Ever since the day I wrote it down, its always been at the back of my mind.

Last week I was driving around and the thought struck me again: I needed to get a mullet. I needed to break the stereotypes and bring back the awesomeness of this neglected hairstyle.

Then yesterday I was sitting at my computer when none other than Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy" came on my iTunes. I had always been inspired by Rod's 'do, but this time it just hit me a little harder.

Today. We get like two things in the mail. One of these things is a coupon book. And what is on the first page of this coupon book? A $6.99 haircut from Great Clips.

I was on my way. Ignoring so many signs would be a sin. I decided to go in for the kill.

Before heading out I decided to run it past my mom one more time.

"Mom, do I just do it? Do I just get a mullet?"

Her response, "Just go. You've talked about it for years. Its in your system. Go."

So I went.

This is the final product:



And yes, I do love it.

I think the best part was that the girl I got to cut my hair was Chinese. Naturally, I love Chinese people. We just get each other. I win them over with my (limited) Chinese phrases and they embrace me for the stereotypical American woman I am. This girl, named Sammi, was a pleasure. First off, she didn't make that lame small talk. Gag me. I hate that. Also, our introductory conversation went something like this:

Sammi: "Hi, what can I do for you today"

Me: "Uh, so, uh I'm looking to get this (I pull out a photo. Yes, I come prepared). It's kind of, uh, a mullet"

S (grimacing): "Uhhh okay. Let me see." She takes a good look at it. Looks at me. Compares the hair type and seems a little confused.

"Ok", she says, "but you will not look the same as this photo."

M: "Yeah, I figured as much."

S: A blank stare.

M: "I know its kind of weird, but I think its going to be awesome. And if you think its heading in the wrong direction like halfway through, just let me know. We'll work with it. No big"

S (sighs with relief): "Ohhh okay good."

End scene.

Needless to say, she was hesitant but she did a fantastic job. The stars aligned and the final product is everything I wanted in a mullet (or we decided its more of a shaggy cousin of the mullet) and more.



booyah!

Comments

Aline said…
I freaking love it!!! You look SEXY.
Ricky and Mindy said…
Oh ma goodness!!! You finally did it!! Hahahaha! It looks great Cindy and now you can truly say you have had a mullet. Ricky wrote a song about mullets, you should hear it.
kami said…
oooh i actually love it! actually i think it's very parisienne....nice work!
Meagan said…
absolutely awesome!! it's so Cindy.
San Ba Po said…
I loooooove you Cindy~! looks awesome!!

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...