(D-this might be boring. Just a warning.)
Tonight I was inspired and I figured why not post my feelings. I don't do it enough (unless you count lovin' football and hot boys as feelings).
Here I go.
I don't like any form of the word tolerate. I might even hate the word.
It brings me much sadness that this word is so widely spread in today's society. Everywhere we turn there is encouragement to be tolerant of people who are different. To me, this word points out the differences rather than the similarities we have with each other as a world. I realize that at first glance toleration could be inspiring, and promote acceptance, but it seems to be only applied to those people you don't really approve of, but will put up with.
It is not a good word.
Dictionary.com lists the following definitions:
1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
2. to endure without repugnance; put up with: I can tolerate laziness, but not incompetence.
2. to endure without repugnance; put up with: I can tolerate laziness, but not incompetence.
4. to experience, undergo, or sustain, as pain or hardship
Each one of these definitions have positive attributes, but are only a result of initial negative feelings.
Just imagine what you feel like when you are constantly reminded that you are being tolerated. There is no love in the word. Those who are tolerated are the ones who already feel like outcasts and unaccepted by the world. They deserve to be loved, respected, admired-not tolerated.
My thought is that no human being should have to feel tolerated. It is not a good feeling. It does not promote togetherness; it only sustains the differences between people.
I hope there is a time when the word tolerate is replaced with the word love.
That is what I think.
Comments