Yeah that's right.
Last Chance Harvey was good.
I didn't know what to expect walking into the theatre; I had high hopes but a big part of me thought it would be super lame. I mean, it was a love story between two old(er) people. Weird. As it progressed, however, I found myself intrigued with the storyline and the acting. (I also figured that the combined age of me and my friend was significantly lower than the average age of everyone else in the theatre).
The movie begins by following two uniquely awkward individuals in their own separate realms. Harvey Shine (Dustin Hoffman) makes his way to London to see his only daughter get married, and in doing so he meets Kate (Emma Thompson), a native who is overwhelmed by her mother (Eileen Atkins) who is constantly calling her because she is worried her daughter will never find love. Once Harvey arrives at the rehearsal dinner for his daughter, things take a turn for the worse when she says she wants her stepfather to give her away at the wedding, not him. At the same time Harvey is worried about his job back in the states and feels his world shattering around him. It is only after Harvey has lost everything when he meets Kate and things begin to change. Harvey and Kate are both openly disappointed at the way their lives have been going but seem to connect as Harvey persistently intrigues Kate with his honesty.
Ok, so the plot doesn't sound too impressive. It's a love story. But it's so much more. The film is focused more on dialogue than anything else, as the cameras follow Harvey and Kate wandering around London discussing their lives. It's the discoveries they make about themselves and the insights they give each other that seem to just make sense. Hoffman and Thompson also do a fine job conveying the emotions their characters are feeling; there were so many points in the movie that I just felt awkward. I felt awkward for the characters and what they said and the events taking place. It made me a little uncomfortable. But it worked.
In conclusion, even old people can fall in love.
Last Chance Harvey was good.
I didn't know what to expect walking into the theatre; I had high hopes but a big part of me thought it would be super lame. I mean, it was a love story between two old(er) people. Weird. As it progressed, however, I found myself intrigued with the storyline and the acting. (I also figured that the combined age of me and my friend was significantly lower than the average age of everyone else in the theatre).
The movie begins by following two uniquely awkward individuals in their own separate realms. Harvey Shine (Dustin Hoffman) makes his way to London to see his only daughter get married, and in doing so he meets Kate (Emma Thompson), a native who is overwhelmed by her mother (Eileen Atkins) who is constantly calling her because she is worried her daughter will never find love. Once Harvey arrives at the rehearsal dinner for his daughter, things take a turn for the worse when she says she wants her stepfather to give her away at the wedding, not him. At the same time Harvey is worried about his job back in the states and feels his world shattering around him. It is only after Harvey has lost everything when he meets Kate and things begin to change. Harvey and Kate are both openly disappointed at the way their lives have been going but seem to connect as Harvey persistently intrigues Kate with his honesty.
Ok, so the plot doesn't sound too impressive. It's a love story. But it's so much more. The film is focused more on dialogue than anything else, as the cameras follow Harvey and Kate wandering around London discussing their lives. It's the discoveries they make about themselves and the insights they give each other that seem to just make sense. Hoffman and Thompson also do a fine job conveying the emotions their characters are feeling; there were so many points in the movie that I just felt awkward. I felt awkward for the characters and what they said and the events taking place. It made me a little uncomfortable. But it worked.
In conclusion, even old people can fall in love.
Comments