Skip to main content

Mexican Rodeo Extravaganza!


Saturday night I had the opportunity of awesomeness to go to the Mexican Rodeo here in Denver as part of the National Western Stock show. If you have never been to a stock show, or a rodeo, I highly suggest. They are full of love and adventure and cowboys and hats made out of beer boxes and so many other things. The stock show sells things like horse feeds, cages, fences, tractors, horses, trucks, and even showers. And the guys selling these things are so talented. One of the cowboys selling hats guessed my hat size just by looking at me! Check out that skill!! I was seriously really excited about that. Maybe pathetic.

Don't worry I dressed the part (this is me in the shower):


My friend (who is a real life cowboy and owns spurs and chaps) works for a place that had an exhibit set up for the show, so we got awesome parking. We spent a few hours browsing all the things we'd buy if we were rich: burritos, funnel cakes, and horses. After that the real celebration began.

We made our way to the stadium where the Mexican Rodeo would take place and I looked around in complete awe. There were so many three piece suited Mexican Cowboys with their cowboy boots that curl up like elf shoes. It was heaven.

The rodeo was in both Spanish and English and those Mexican Cowboys really know how to rope! They had a famous Mariachi band performing the whole time, and colorfully dressed dancers and a 9 year old Mexican boy singer and it was spectacular. A definite show. It was much more elaborate and decorated than a regular rodeo. I loved it. LOVED IT. (Plus I really fit in with my outfit. And a bull tried escaping and jumped over/on top of a fence and made a photographer run for her life).

I was also very impressed with the love the Mexican people have for our country. The stadium was mostly Mexicans (Chihuahua represent!) and both the Mexican and American National Anthems were played at the start of the rodeo. First was the Mexican and there were plenty of cheers and celebration. But when the American National Anthem was played, there was an eruption. It was seriously beautiful. There was a unity across the stadium that was so powerful.

I love Mexican Rodeos.

I love America.

Comments

blakecgriffin said…
What Mexican rodeo would be complete without the white girl dressing up in hideous south American garb to make fun of the hispanic culture?
Caitlin said…
SO JEALOUS. THE END.
Erin said…
this gave me the chills. I wish with all of my heart that I can go to a Mexican rodeo someday.
Anonymous said…
You can view photos of the 16th Annual Mexican Rodeo Extravaganza at: http://www.digpicphoto.com/Mexican_Rodeo_Extravaganza.htm

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...