Skip to main content

That's How I Roll

The following is a true story:

Sad, but true.

It happened today. I get to church a few minutes late because, well, lets face it: I didn't have any meetings and so I took my time to get there. Also, I was hoping the pianist was there because when he's not I usually get roped into playing (roped=grateful for the opportunity to serve). One time when I came in a few minutes late the ward was singing a capella and it was super awkward.

Anyways. I see a couple friends so I sit with them. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see something marvelous.

I see a man. A man with a beard.

The second song of the day had just started, but I had to say it. I turned around and appreciated the man sitting behind me. I simply stated, "Nice beard" (in my most flirtatious way possible) and he smiled in response.

It was then that love began to bloom.

During the announcements he tapped my arm a couple times to ask questions and exchange witty remarks. I liked him right away. Zane* was his name.

(*Names have been changed to protect privacy*)

The meeting ended. We shared some small talk and then during our conversation he said those four words that meant something: "That's how I roll".

I SAY "THATS HOW I ROLL"!!!

See the connection? I did. I'm sure he did too.

We strolled along to Sunday school together, where we sat next to each other and discussed how he looked like what we thought Moses probably looked like, which was perfect. The conversation was easy. His beard was thick. It was like the stars aligned.

I decided I'd be bold. He left for his Priesthood meeting and I started planning on how I could get him to love me. The clock struck 3:30pm. Class ended. I went out and found him in the hallway, about to leave. He stopped and we began chatting again. I had the words to say...until a church leader approached me and said those dreaded words, "Hey Cindy. Can we talk...in private?" Couldn't this person see I was about to make magic happen?! Couldn't they see the love forming?! It was obvious to everyone else! (I seriously had like 5 people come up to me and tell me they thought it was meant to be).

I stepped away for no more than a minute, and when I came back, he was gone.

Out of my life.

It was a brief moment in time, but when you know, you know (right, everyone who's married?)

Oh Zane.

PS. Zane, if you somehow find this and read it...I'm sorry I'm creepy. But I'm not sorry for how I feel.

PPS. He might be coming back next week...ain't nobody gonna be hurting my game then! This could also be potentially super awkward, seeing as how I've proclaimed my infatuation with him to the world.

PPPS. I'd imagine this to be our song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVvgMEs9qeM

"Roll With Me" by Montgomery Gentry. Yeah. I know. It's so us.

fin.

Comments

Jill said…
Cindy,
I hope Zane comes back next week. I'm already clearing space on my future fridge for the icky sweet pic of you and Zane on a tandem segway, rolling off towards eternity.
p.s. do tandem segways exist?
Ross said…
I'm loving it, Cindy!

If I know Zane Dawg like I think I do, he'll come rollin' back next week. And that beard of his will have one more week to fill in and become even thicker...
I love reading your blog. it totally makes my day.

I can't wait to hear the continuation of the Cindy-Zane saga. This is about as good as Edward and Bella... haha. :)
Michelle said…
Oh Cindy how I love you and how you proclaim love on your blog. You know, I wasn't even there and I can tell that it is meant to be. I am also proud of your gumption...you totally rocked it. I'm sure he is dreaming of you right this minute.
Holly-O said…
haha. amazing story. steve and i actually met just like that.. minus the beard. but we did meet at church and talk through all the meetings. and i too plotted how i was going to see him again. the only difference is we didn't have anyone cramp our game. he drove me home from church. anyway, more than you probably cared to hear. i hope "zane" shows up in your life again!
I love you and your roll.
kami said…
ah! i'm sitting on the edge of my seat...update when you see him again!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...