I don't know about all of you, but I used to love MTV's TRL. When I was younger (and maybe even last week) I would watch the show religiously and cross my fingers that The Backstreet Boys beat N*SYNC in the countdown. Sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn't. These were the days of TRL when Carson Daly was the handsome host (I may or may not have had a crush on him despite his affiliation with Tara Reid) and required my utmost dedication. I would reserve the TV if one of my favorite pop stars was performing and I remember how much I wanted to be a member of the TRL audience.
Last week when I watched it I still saw fragments of the old TRL, but it wasn't the same. I had no idea who the hosts were (I think one chick was one of the model contendors on a past season of ANTM) and I think they only played a max 30 seconds of each music video. The lucky number 1 spot music video was even played during the show's credits. Not cool, MTV.
Which is why I am not surprised that TRL has been cancelled. It will end in November. Despite the lack of zest in the show these days, I still feel a touch of sadness in this decision by MTV. I feel as though TRL had a significant part in my youth and it's sad to say goodbye.
I'll never forget you TRL.
Comments
my thoughts and prayers will be with you through this hard time.