Skip to main content

The Road

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, is what I would consider a quick but lingering read. The story was engaging and at some points I felt like I couldn't turn the pages quick enough. While I seemed to fly through the story, when the last page was turned, it was still with me.




The story depicts the travels of a young boy and his father, making their way through the ash-stricken land they used to call home. The man is able to recall the past-the days when the sun would shine and when the ocean was blue-but the only life the boy knows is trying to survive on the road. The relationship between the man and the boy, who remain nameless the entire story, fluctuates as tensions between them rise and fall. The boy has an inherit goodness about him, trying his best to encourage his father to see the best in people, but their situation almost forces the man to question everything and everyone. However, there is a bond shared between them that is strong and fierce; they depend on each other at every moment. It is touching to see how the two of them respond to the events that transpire, and how they are able to grow and learn from each other.


Throughout the story, both characters pose unanswerable questions that force the reader to almost reevaluate their own life. The story leaps off the pages, and while it is a dark and dreary tale, it conjures up some feelings of hope. During a time when humanity has reached its bottom, the boy and the man are able to demonstrate love and charity. They are determined to 'carry the fire' no matter what they encounter.


The writing is lovely, and McCarthy uses his writing style to ensure the reader understands the bleak life of his characters. It is one continuous story, with no chapter breaks, just like the road the boy and the man are traveling. There is no way out; the only way to get through it is to keep going. And it's worth it.

Comments

Jen said…
I think it would be hard to read a book without chapters, but I've heard such wonderful things about this book. I think I'm going to suggest it for our next book club. Did you know they were making a movie? I think it is supposed to come out later this year. Sounds intriguing.
blakecgriffin said…
Sadly, the movie is NOT coming out this year. Stupid ass John Hillcoat, can't keep up with a freaking production schedule. But brilliant review. Well done. Glad you read this. Everyone should.
Anonymous said…
Great review! And congrats on finishing a book for the Lit Flicks Challenge. I've been meaning to read this one for a while, but haven't gotten to it. My copy has an Oprah sticker on it, so I can't take it out of the house. :)

Jessica @ The Bluestocking Society
http://thebluestockings.com
Anonymous said…
It is definitely not hard to read this chapterless wonder.
I'm a little surprised you didn't mention how terrifying some of the parts were. Maybe I'm just a wuss.
Good review, Cindy, of one of my favs.

Popular posts from this blog

Another confession

(this isn't about the same subject matter as before) A lot of the time when I meet people I feel like I know them from somewhere. A good percentage of the time I realize the only way I know them is that they resemble one of the characters on the classic board game Guess Who? Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Recent Obsession Flair-ups

You know how there are some things that you love so much and you experience these things a ton but then after awhile they just seem to fade out? But then some time passes and you almost rediscover these things with new eyes and obsess over them again almost worse than the first time? This has recently happened to me with a few things. They include: Elton John Tater Tots Seinfeld Showering Grape Juice Thats it. PS: (Did you know?!) Thanks to Dare-bear-stare for helping me learn that my own Denver International Airport is the largest airport in the U.S. at 53 square miles! Props to Denver yet again!

Take Home Chef Wannabe

So once upon a time my friend Jeff and I made up our own little tradition. We called it "Friday Picture" and each Friday we would walk around campus and take a picture with the most awkward/awesome/unique looking individual we could find. It was something I looked forward to every week, and we would constantly surprise ourselves with the kind of people we'd see walking around BYU. A lot of weridos there. One day we decided to meander through the library to see if there was anyone extra special for our Friday Picture. Boyyy, did we find that special person! World, meet Take Home Chef Lookalike. I saw him and I couldn't believe the similarities. The striking features. The blond, pointy hair. We even found some silverware to make the photo more true to life. ( The real Curtis Stone ) Try to tell me they don't look alike. Just try. I think the best part of the story is that Jeff's girlfriend at the time (now wife) had dated Take Home Chef-a-like. And we di...