As the search continues for a job in my life, I am experiencing what I like to call the "Interview-blues".
Don't get me wrong-I love getting interviews. It makes me feel like my resume was somewhat impressive (it's not) and gives me a false impression that I'm having some success in my goal to be employed. These are the times when I have to remind myself that an interview is only one step; the hard part is what follows.
Interviews are all about first impressions. Gah. Who likes those? I always seem to be awkward or scary to people. Oh, and lots of people seem to think I'm not too smart. I remember in high school one of my friends asked me what my GPA was; I asked him what he thought it was and sadly he thought it was much lower than the real thing. I don't know what that means.
Anyways.
Interviews are also about a lot of exaggerated truths. There are those standard questions that you know will come during each interview, like "What would you say are your top three strengths/weaknesses?" and "What makes you a good team-player?"
I hate those questions.
Then sometimes you'll get a question you could never predict. Last week I seriously had a woman ask me "If you were part of a car, what would you be and why?"
Excuse me, but that question is ridiculous. It's not real and it doesn't demonstrate why I would be a good candidate for the position I'm applying for. Unless the position is working at a car dealership (and just an fyi-I've worked at a dealership and they did not ask that question).
In the end, all these interview woes are worth it. I love getting the call saying that I've beat out the competition and am "The Chosen One".
Lets hope I get one of those calls soon.
Comments
Weird stuff.
Hope your job search is going well!