This one has a couple surprises. You'll want to stick around. Or not.
Today was legit. I woke up and went to some random welcome orientation. It was awesome. Only mostly boring. They really have some York pride here, which I can respect. We're really smart. So it makes sense I'm roommates with so many Chinese people. And they're so funny, because they ask me why I came to England for TESOL when I obviously could've just stayed at home and done the same thing. "Why not!?" is my typical response.
Today one of the girls-her English name is Sherry-approached me and asked "so you
don't have any friends in York?". "Nope. I have no friends". "Oh, maybe we can be good friends then!"
I hope so Sherry. And Patty. And Kirk.
My real goal for wandering around downtown was not to buy a sweet Cher record, but to find me a phone and hopefully have time to see the famous York Minster.
(or an old bookstore! i love old bookstores)
The York Minster is one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in Northern Europe, and I admit I was taken aback at its size. It's so big! I feel like I barely got to really see it for what its worth so I know I'll be going back. But luckily for me, I got there just a few minutes before a Choral Evensong was about to start. So I walked right in and enjoyed the service. I was really impressed with the boys choir-I guess I'd never really been to a live service with a live boys choir, but those kids could sing! Their soprano voices were strong and just perfect. I was slightly jealous. One kid had Justin Bieber hair too, so I feel like if they just channel his talent in a slightly different direction they could bank on that.
As I was sitting there I had an overwhelming sense of gratitude for being able to come here. Like really? This is my life. Sitting in a cathedral built hundreds of years ago, listening to a boys choir, on a beautiful sunny day. Life is good.
(oh heyy guy fawkes. yorkpride)
Comments
love your bangs!