Friday, October 7, 2011

Another video?! York.

This one has a couple surprises. You'll want to stick around. Or not.


Today was legit. I woke up and went to some random welcome orientation. It was awesome. Only mostly boring. They really have some York pride here, which I can respect. We're really smart. So it makes sense I'm roommates with so many Chinese people. And they're so funny, because they ask me why I came to England for TESOL when I obviously could've just stayed at home and done the same thing. "Why not!?" is my typical response.

Today one of the girls-her English name is Sherry-approached me and asked "so you
don't have any friends in York?". "Nope. I have no friends". "Oh, maybe we can be good friends then!"

I hope so Sherry. And Patty. And Kirk.

My real goal for wandering around downtown was not to buy a sweet Cher record, but to find me a phone and hopefully have time to see the famous York Minster.

(or an old bookstore! i love old bookstores)

The York Minster is one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in Northern Europe, and I admit I was taken aback at its size. It's so big! I feel like I barely got to really see it for what its worth so I know I'll be going back. But luckily for me, I got there just a few minutes before a Choral Evensong was about to start. So I walked right in and enjoyed the service. I was really impressed with the boys choir-I guess I'd never really been to a live service with a live boys choir, but those kids could sing! Their soprano voices were strong and just perfect. I was slightly jealous. One kid had Justin Bieber hair too, so I feel like if they just channel his talent in a slightly different direction they could bank on that.


As I was sitting there I had an overwhelming sense of gratitude for being able to come here. Like really? This is my life. Sitting in a cathedral built hundreds of years ago, listening to a boys choir, on a beautiful sunny day. Life is good.

(oh heyy guy fawkes. yorkpride)

8 comments:

Coralie said...

What a cool opportunity! You lead a charmed life my friend! Have so much fun!

ijoyce said...

Best thing ever. Love the videos. Love that river? lake? body of water you get to walk by every day. Want me to send you a rice cooker so you fit in? I"ll do it I SWEAR.

Kasi French said...

Daily videos? That is my request.

Meg said...

omg what a beautiful campus. . . ha ha your accent is dead on. . .

love your bangs!

Janna said...

This is my most favorite video. Well, except for the "Honks!" one.

Melanie said...

Wow Cindy, this is so cool. I'm so happy for you and this adventure you are on.

Elizabeth said...

Oh man, you are totally going to get us men with that precious accent! Keep up the good work!

San Ba Po said...

love the Cher singing! The native american music was quite intriguing.